Jeffrey R. Hellman, Esq.
Commercial, Bankruptcy and Real Estate Litigation
White Collar Criminal Defense and Health Care Fraud Litigation
Securities Arbitration and Securities Investor Protection Act Litigation
Jeff Hellman is a business litigator who represents clients primarily in complex commercial, securities, bankruptcy and real estate litigation in state and federal courts and arbitrations. He represents clients involved in contract disputes, preference actions and fraudulent transfers, partnerships and inter-company disputes. In addition, he has represented clients in probate conservatorship cases, will contests and fiduciaries in multimillion-dollar actions brought by trust beneficiaries.
Jeff has received a Preeminent AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and has been selected as a 2013 New England Super Lawyer. He has held both rankings for many years.
A graduate of Duke University and Harvard Law School, Jeff is admitted to practice law in the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania and the bars of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, the Southern District of New York, the Northern District of New York, the District of Massachusetts and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Jeff is the Chairman of the Connecticut Committee of the Federal Bar Council. He has lectured to the Connecticut Bar Association and the Norton Bankruptcy Litigation Institute. He is a member of the Connecticut Bar Association, and has served on its Federal Practice section’s Executive Committee since 1996. He is also a member of the Commercial Law and Bankruptcy section.
Prior to moving to Connecticut, Jeff was an Assistant District Attorney in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1986 - 1989).
J.D., Harvard University, 1986
A.B., Duke University, 1983
Magna Cum Laude
United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Executive Committee, Connecticut Bar Association Federal Practice Section
Member Since: 1996 - present
Connecticut Bar Association Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
Federal Bar Council
Member Since: 2000 - present
- Contributing Editor, Norton Bankruptcy Law and Practice 3d (West 2012)
- Lecturer: “Evidence, Privilege and Discovery,” Norton Bankruptcy Litigation Institute (2003-2011)
- “Ethical Issues in Bankruptcy,” Norton Bankruptcy Litigation Institute (2003-2012)
- “Advanced Fraudulent Transfer Law”, Connecticut Bar Association (2010 & 2013)
- Ogden v. Chorches, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 10614 (2d. Cir. 2013)
- Martin, Lucas & Chioffi, LLP v. Bank of America, 714 F. Supp. 2d 303 (D. Conn. 2010)
- Chorches v. Ogden, 437 B.R. 731 (D. Conn. 2010)
- Cendant Corp. v. Shelton, 473 F. Supp. 2d 307 (D. Conn. 2007)
- Lopiano v. Gedney, 2004 Conn. Super LEXIS 3389 (J.D. Stamford 2004)
- New Horizon Fin. Servs., LLC v. First Fin. Equities, Inc., 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14573 (D. Conn. 2003)
- New Horizon Fin. Servs., LLC v. First Fin. Equities, Inc., 278 F. Supp. 2d 259 (D. Conn. 2003)
- Willard v. O’Neil (In re Willard), 240 B.R. 664 (Bankr. D. Conn. 1999)
- Mikolinski v. Valley View Joint Venture, 1998 Conn. Super LEXIS 2215 (J.D. Waterbury 1998) aff’d 56 Conn. App. 401 (1999)
- Pappas v. Arfaras, 20 F. Supp. 2d. 372 (D. Conn. 1998)
- Memorial Hosp. v. Sarama (In re Sarama), 192 B.R. 922 (Bankr. N.D. Ill. 1996)
- Nosik v. Singe, 40 F. 3d 592, (2d Cir. 1994)
- Medway Associates v. Shoneck, 1992 Conn. Super LEXIS 1799 (J.D. New Haven, 1992)
- Connecticut Nat’l Bank v. Trans World Airlines, Inc., 762 F. Supp. 76 (S.D.N.Y. 1991)
- Commonwealth v. McDermond, 127 Pa. Commw. 17 (Pa. Commw. 1989)